Welcome to the North East corner of north america on a 252,000 square mile island surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean! 113 miles from nearest mainland, 430 miles to Labrador and 1300 miles to Greenland which is also the source of our majestic icebergs!
Prevailing winds are 2,000 miles from the industrial area in the United States giving Twillingate some of the purest air and water in the entire world.
The original settler of this area remarked to their families at home that the waters around the island were so thick with cod fish that you could practically walk on their backs to get home.
A great place to retire, raise a family, or simply relax. Twillingate has an incredibly low crime rate, good restaurants, and some of the friendliest people you’ll ever meet. Newfoundland’s culture has an infectious charm that’s sure to delight and intrigue any traveler as they visit Twillingate Island.
The island owes much of it’s peace and quiet to it’s incredibly low population density. Twillingate has a population of just 2,200 people with an average of 2 people for every square mile.
Features of Twillingate Area
Twillingate has all the features and services you could ever ask for without diminishing the peaceful small town atmosphere that’s so sorely missed in many other parts of the world. Likely the safest place in the world to live.
- Elementary and high school.
- Nearest College – 60 miles.
- Gander Airport and Walmart – 73 miles.
- 6 churches. 1 church for every 300 people in Twillingate.
- 49 bed hospital.
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police barracks.
- Fire Department
- 911 emergency service.
- Average temperatures ranging from
Our little island is also a host for a plethora of leisure fresh air activities including:
- Fishing – catch and release, and seasonal catch and keep.year.
- Moose hunting.
- Snowshoe hiking.
- Cross Country Skiing.
- Altlantic Salmon Streams.
- Caribou Herds.
- Mud hill climb for 4 wheel drive vehicles
- Partridge and blue berry picking.
- World’s most beautiful hole in Golf. The tenth hole.
- Soccer Golf.
- Disc Golf.
- Miniature Golf course, Ninth hole into root cellar open door.
- See historic root cellars.
- Aircraft museum in Gander.
- Visit Fogo island.
- Salmon ladder at Grand falls Winsor.
- Titanic display at the lighthouse.
- Abandoned copper mine.
- Community indoor swimming pool.
- Community ice hockey arena.
- Annual Fish Fun and Folk Festival in late July.
Average Temperatures in Twillingate by Month
Newfoundland has a reputation for being cold but our climate is actually very mild. The Labrador current warms and cools our little island ensuring that our winter temperatures rarely get below -10°C (14°F) and summer temperatures rarely get above 25°C (77°F). We’re not too cold and not too hot; we’re just right.
Interesting Historical Fact : Amelia Earhart and Charles Lindbergh flew over our trails and the Gander International Airport (which controls over 2000 aircraft), the first airport between Europe and the USA.